On the 8 June, 2021, Scholars at Risk Ireland, in conjunction with All European Academies (ALLEA), are hosting an online conference on Academic Freedom and Intellectual Dissent.
This conference will focus on the importance of intellectual dissent and academic freedom to democratic societies in a Western, particularly European, context. The speakers and the panel will discuss the scope and the limits of academic freedom in the context of political populism, neoliberalism and the exigencies of the post Covid social and educational landscape. Topics to be discussed include but are not limited to
- Academic freedom in relation to other core academic values, e.g. openness, trustworthiness, research integrity, and social responsibility
- The scope and limits of intellectual dissent and academic freedom
- Ways of strengthening academic freedom in a changing university funding landscape
- The impact of social media on academic freedom
- Lessons from a global pandemic